Many people have asked me why is Petit Jovial supporting orang-utan projects In Indonesia. For a start, I think these creatures are simply adorable. They are also very close relatives to us and they share 97% of their DNA with human beings.
Orang-utans can only be found in the forests on the islands of Borneo and Sumatra, in Indonesia where my father was from. I spent several years of my childhood in Indonesia, so I have a close affinity towards them.
Orang-utans play an important part in helping to shape and preserve tropical rain forests, due to their fruit-eating and seed-dispersing behaviour. As they have a very high seed dispersal rate, they provide habitat and food for other fruit eating species. Without them, the forest could not support the entire community.
Due to the poaching and habitat loss from deforestation and the palm oil plantations in Indonesia, they are critically endangered. Palm trees produce palm oil, which is used in many products, including in beauty products.
So, how can we help?*
- Check out the WWF Palm oil Scorecard to see if your favourite brands/ retailers are committed to sustainable palm oil free of deforestation and destruction of nature.
- Make sustainable shopping choices. Every consumer choice we make is a decision on how we want the future of our planet to be.
- Get in contact with your favourite brands and let them know that you want them to source and produce their products sustainably
- Make small changes to your daily routine. It may not seem like much, but small things can make a huge difference.
- Raise awareness and lead by example
- Donate or adopt an orangutan
At Petit Jovial, we do not use palm oil or any of its derivatives in our products. We also don’t test on animals and we use only vegan ingredients in our formulations.
Till next time,